Sunday, September 9, 2012

Malapropist Tribune: 9/9/2012 (Zone One Edition, Part 1/2)

It's been a full month since the last edition of the Malapropist Tribune, so I thought I'd shake things up and feature words from a single novel - in this case, Colson Whitehead's fantastic Zone One. If lumbering zombies and sprightly prose are your thing, be sure to snag a copy.

aspersion (n) - A damaging or derogatory remark or criticism, slandering. "I'm not the best at meeting new people. I sweat profusely and start blurting aspersions with little to no idea of what I'm saying."

wending (v) - To pursue or direct (one's way); to proceed or go. "I'm so incompetent when it comes to mall shopping that I end up following in my girlfriend's wending wake from store to store." 

moribund (adj) - In a dying state, near death, or on the verge of expiration; not proceeding or advancing. "My apartment isn't the most pleasant place, what with my surplus of moribund houseplants."

subcutaneous (adj) - Located or placed just below the skin. "Don't mind Lisa - she's got a knack for crafting insults with subcutaneous tendencies."

harrow (v) - To inflict great torment or distress. "Nothing's quite as harrowing as long, early AM drive sans coffee."

disabuse (v) - To free from a misconception or falsehood. "I've been disabused in recent years of my belief that all Thai food is tasty."

comportment (n) - A manner of behaving. "I'm of a slightly less pleasant comportment since getting sober."

pratfall (n) - A fall on the buttocks; a humiliating error, failure, or defeat. "If nothing else, Youtube has proven pratfalls to be universal."

hector (v) - To intimidate or dominate in a blustering way. "I'm writing a relationship book on how to hector your loved one."

louche (adj) - Of questionable morality or repute. "My handful of corporate escapades so far have earned me a rather louche reputation."

desultory (adj) - Lacking in consistency, constancy, or visible order; disconnected; fitful. "The wedding ended in awkward, desultory applause."

interregnum (n) - Any period during which a state has no ruler or only a temporary executive. "I miss those days of elementary school interregnums, where the students would band together to terrorize whatever poor sub walked through the classroom door." 

depilatory (n) - Capable of removing hair. "My last relationship ended when I accidentally swapped my girlfriend's specialized shampoo with her depilatory."

passel (n) - A group or lot of indeterminate number. "Nothing like a passel of peonies to liven a living room."

mien (n) - Air, bearing, demeanor. "My dad's of a mean mien when he's drunk."

erstwhile (adj) -  Former, of times past. "Excuse me my crankiness - result of an erstwhile nap."

abrade (v) - To wear off or down by scraping or rubbing. "I've abraded one shin clean of hair from crossing over the other leg."

multifarious (adj) - Having great variety; diverse. "My schemes are insidious and multifarious."

enervate (v) - To weaken or destroy the strength or vitality of. "The foundation of the house has been enervated by termites for the better part of a decade now."

defenestration (n) - The act of throwing someone or something out of a window. "My first goldfish met it's demise via defenestration. Have I mentioned my father is an alcoholic?" 

ichor (n) - A watery, acrid discharge from a wound or ulcer. "I keep having nightmares of hospital hallways slick with ichor."

maunder (v) - To talk incoherently or aimlessly; to move or act vaguely or aimlessly. "Bill's got the sort of maundering speech that induces sudden narcolepsy." 

depredation (n) - A predatory attack; a raid. "The supply lines have been subject to harrowing depredations for the past few weeks." 

sundry (adj) - Various, miscellaneous. "This summer's travel destinations includes sundry sunny climes."

venal (adj) - Open to bribery; mercenary. "I can't help but suspect any given congressman or senator is as venal as the next, regardless of party lines."

insalubrious (adj) - Not promoting health; unwholesome. "I have a bad habit in imbibing insalubrious libations."










No comments:

Post a Comment